When: 2nd June 2018, 12pm
Where: In the grounds of Coxheath Village Hall, Stockett Lane, Coxheath, Maidstone, Kent ME17 4PX
£: Costs £40 per team to enter. Free to watch
What is it?
The World Custard Pie Championships 2018 will be taking place in Kent on Saturday 2nd June and will see around 2000 ‘pies’ being thrown.
This will be the 51st year that the quirky championships have taken place and teams are expected to travel from all over the country, and further afield, to take part.
Some 2000 pies will be thrown during the championships, and the competition will be scored and judged by special Custard Pie Judges who are well versed in the art and tradition of pie throwing.
Take a look at last year’s event to see just how messy it gets!
The championship rules are as follows:
1. Each contestant should be 8’3¼” from the target (the opposing team member).
2. Pies should measure no more than 10¼” in diameter or 2.47cm in depth.
3. Pies can only be thrown with the left hand.
4. Pies should be held flat in the hand.
5. The pies should not be raised above shoulder height.
6. Points will be awarded for direct hits and near misses as follows:
a. Six Points for a direct hit (this must strike squarely on the face)
b. Three points for a near miss (from shoulder height upwards)
c. One point for a pie hitting any other part of the body
d. Two consecutive misses and the team member forfeits one point
7. On no account should any contestant be in possession of more than three pies
8. Targets may avoid pies, but should not take more than 3’2” or one step in any direction.
9. At no time should any pie be a greater distance from the ground than that previously agreed with the judge. Account will be taken of wind velocity, danger to onlookers and the general fitness of contestants to cope with pies flying at high speeds.
10. No compensation can be awarded to any onlooker who is either deliberately or accidentally daubed with a quantity of pie filling, unless this should exceed the average quantity of custard eaten per head in the year 1987.
11. Teams drawn to compete against each other will act as their own human targets.
12. Judges well versed in the art of Custard Pie Throwing will award points for direct hits etc.
13. Special marks will be awarded by the judges for dress, maximum 6 points when the teams parade for the championship.