Where: The Green Man Pub, (downstairs bar), No. 1 Poultry, London EC2R 8EJ
£: Qualifying Tournament Tickets £12.12 (plus booking fee)
What is it?
This year the annual UK Rock Paper Scissors Championships take place on 23rd November in London.
Now in its 7th year, the popular knockout tournament will see more than 250 competitors battle it out to be crowned the 2013 UK Rock Paper Scissors Champion and walk away with a £100 cash prize.
The idea of the game is for two people to go head to head, using one hand to imitate either a rock (clenched fist), a piece of paper (flat hand) or a pair of scissors (two fingers in a V shape). Rock beats (blunts) scissors, paper beats (wraps) rock and scissors beats (cuts) paper. Perhaps surprisingly the game is not just about luck and avoiding elbow cramp. It’s very similar to poker with a lot of bluffing and putting out mixed signals. For the experienced player there are well-known gambits [three pre-determined throws] that are adopted in tournaments globally, including the Avalanche (three successive rocks) and the Fistful o’ Dollars (rock, paper, paper). There are the less well-known ruses of cloaking and shadowing and of course the more dubious tactic of psyching out opponents.
If you are thinking of taking part, here are Wacky Nation‘s 5 Tips to Win at Rock Paper Scissors:
1. Surprise your opponent – if you’re big, scary and muscular, throw paper.
2. Wear fancy dress to confuse your opponent – i.e. a scissors themed fancy dress and throw paper.
3. Wear sunglasses – to prevent your opponent from studying your eyes.
4. Try reverse psychology – tell them what you are going to throw and let them figure out if you will.
5. Scissors is statistically the least thrown – therefore paper is statistically the safest throw.
More info: www.wackynation.com/ukrps